Makes 10 Servings
1 1/2 lbs Rowland Farm pork belly
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon cumin powder
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 ounce chopped fresh oregano
2 tablespoons chopped fresh epazote
4 cups canned white hominy, drained and rinsed
5 cups pork broth or chicken broth
2 cup diced zucchini and or yellow squash
2 each Jalapenos, diced
2 bunch cilantro
1 bunch of circus and icicle radish (may substitute red radish)
1 cup chopped kale
1. Season Pork belly generously with salt and pepper and sear on grill or in hot sauté pan on both sides for about 2 minutes.
2. In large soup pot, add oil and cook onion and garlic until both are translucent .
3. Add squash, peppers, herbs and spices.
4. Place seared pork belly in pot, cover with pork or chicken broth.
5. Simmer for three to four hours until pork is fork tender.
6. Remove pork from broth and dice into large cubes, return to soup and add hominy and kale.
7. Taste for seasoning, readjusting as preferred.
8. Serve in large soup bowls and garnish with cilantro and shaved radishes.