House explosion in Shelton sends 3 to hospital - WFSB 3 Connecticut

House explosion in Shelton sends 3 to hospital

Posted: Updated:
SHELTON, CT (WFSB) -

Three people are in the hospital with serious injuries and emergency crews are on the scene of a house explosion in Shelton.

Firefighters were called to 67 Wopowog Trail around 2 p.m. for a reported house explosion. Upon arrival, the house was still on fire, police said. The fire was quickly put out by Shelton firefighters.

Sources told Eyewitness News that Pioneer Natural Resources Company was installing a gas dryer when something exploded. Two propane tanks were delivered to the residence earlier today.

The staff at Bridgeport Hospital confirmed that three adult males are in critical condition as a result of the explosion.

Shelton Mayor Mark A. Lauretti told Eyewitness News that his brother, Luke, was one of the people hurt during the explosion and is in critical condition at the Bridgeport burn unit.

It is unclear why Lauretti, who is a friend of the home owner, was at the home because he does not work for the company.

Gary Henry, 24, who is an employee for Pioneer, and Randy Fera, 59, of Stratford are also in critical condition.

The house is uninhabitable and there is extensive damage inside to walls, chimney and roof, according to fire officials.

The incident is being investigated by the fire marshal and the Shelton Police Department.

Check back with Eyewitness News for updates on this breaking news story.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.