New Fairfield father learned son's ID after killing him - WFSB 3 Connecticut

New Fairfield father learned son's ID from police after killing him


A New Fairfield man who fatally shot and killed his son Thursday morning learned of the tragic mistake from police after they peeled back the ski mask the teen was wearing.

Tyler Giuliano, 15, a popular New Fairfield High School student, was shot around 1 a.m. in front of a home located at 7 Meetinghouse Hill Cir.

State police said a woman called her brother, who lives next door, and told him that she believed someone was trying to break into her home. Jeffrey Giuliano then left his home armed with a handgun and confronted someone wearing a black ski mask and dressed in all black.

State police said Giuliano threatened his father with a knife, and that's when he opened fire, killing his son.

When state police arrived at the home, Jeffrey was sitting in the front lawn and his son, Tyler, still wearing the ski mask, was dead in the driveway.

It wasn't until after police arrived and they peeled back the ski mask that Jeffrey saw he shot and killed his own son.

"I can't believe it happened," said student Rob Cammarano. "We were in class when we found out. It was just sad."

State police spent all day Thursday and Friday gathering clues and interviewing witnesses.

It's unclear why Tyler, who was adopted from a broken home, was trying to break into his aunt's house.

Jeffrey Giuliano, who is a popular fifth-grade teacher in town, has not been charged with any crimes.

"Sounds like a big mistake," said former student Eric Mitchell. "I hope they're easy on him. He's a really nice guy."

According to students, Jeffrey Giuliano had Tyler in his fifth-grade class and after learning his grandmother was too ill to care for him, he adopted the child.

"He's a great student. He got straight 'As.' He barely did anything wrong in high school," said Patricia Short about her classmate Tyler Giuliano. "He was one of the nicest kids you would ever meet."

Superintendent of Schools Alicia Roy said an open house that was planned at the high school was canceled, and instead the media center was opened for anyone wishing to meet with grief counselors about what took place.

"Our principal came on and was telling everyone to support each other and be there for each other and that it was a really hard time," said classmate Joslynn Eskierski.

No charges have been filed, but state police said they were investigating whether or not the gun Jeffery was carrying was registered properly. The investigation is expected to last at least a week.

"I'm a dad. God forbid I hurt my own daughter," said Joe Nigri of New Fairfield. "I don't know. I wouldn't be able to live. I don't know how he's coping."

An autopsy performed Friday determined Tyler died of multiple gun shot wounds.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

New Fairfield shooting

Here is more information about the tragic shooting in New Fairfield. More>>