Three hospitalized after Cromwell house fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Three hospitalized after Cromwell house fire

Posted: Updated:
CROMWELL, CT (WFSB) -

Two children and their father were brought to a local hospital after a fire in Cromwell on Friday morning.

The fire broke out at the home on Court Street just before 5 a.m. Sebastian Fortunato said he woke up when he heard screaming coming from across the street.

"I looked outside and I saw pieces of house coming down in flames and saw that it actually was fire," he said.

Fortunato said he woke the family up and called 911.

"Upon my arrival, there was heavy fire on the second floor," said Assistant Fire Chief Donald Quick.

Witnesses said the man tried to put the fire out before fire crews arrived but was burned while attempting to do so.

"He did say that he tried to put out the fire himself, then when he saw that he couldn't, he quickly got the kids and the dog and ran out of the house," Fortunato said.

He was brought to a local hospital to be treated for minor burns to his arms and smoke inhalation, and his two children were also brought to a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire officials said the home is a total loss.

It took firefighters hours to bring the fire under control.

The fire may have started in the man's bedroom on the second floor, but it remains under investigation.

Fire officials are not releasing the names of the victims at this time.

The American Red Cross is providing the family with emergency housing, food and clothing needs, release said.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.