Family hospitalized after eating poisonous mushrooms - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Family hospitalized after eating poisonous mushrooms

Posted: Updated:
HARTFORD, Conn. (WFSB) -

A family was taken to the hospital on Friday after becoming ill from eating poisonous mushrooms they picked in their backyard.

All four members of the family were brought to the emergency room of St. Francis Hospital in Hartford.

The mushrooms, which are known as Destroying Angels, are so poisonous that boiling them has no effect.

A hospital official said the family was treated with an experimental drug known as Silibinin and other medications.

"That was a situation where it was life and death and it was a lifesaving medication," said St. Francis Toxicology Director Dr. Danyal Ibrahim. "And we were able to get approval from the hospital very quickly."

Three of the four family members have been released. The 24-year-old daughter Wafa Guloona ate the most mushrooms and remains hospitalized after severe liver failure.

"It was really painful for me," she said.

Her mother, who is from Pakistan, told Eyewitness News that it is common to eat wild mushrooms. So she picked some from her backyard and cooked them for dinner.

However, the mushrooms made the family sick. They vomited and got diarrhea.

"That was the worst feeling of my life," Guloona said.

Musarat Ullah and his youngest daughter went to the hospital first, however soon the whole family was sick.

"I drive by myself to the hospital," Guloona said. "On my way, I stopped two times because I was throwing up and I almost had an accident by the road."

Guloona is feeling better and is expected to return home by the end of the week.

"When they pinch her (referring to doctors) for anything, she gets pain once. But, I get twice," said Ullah, who was visibly upset. "That's my feeling."

The hospital dealt with a similar incident about two years ago, Ibrahim said.

"The way the mushroom looks, the way the mushroom feels, the way the mushroom smells or tastes will not really help you sort out what's edible, what's poisonous," Ibrahim said. "So the basic rule of thumb is, avoid wild mushroom."

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.