Floodwaters starting to go down in Fairfield - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Floodwaters starting to go down in Fairfield


The water levels in Fairfield started to go down Friday after flooding was caused by Hurricane Sandy.

The water is so high in some areas that it has made it impossible to get into neighborhoods just south of Route 1 in town.

Town officials released some of the damage numbers Friday, however those numbers are expected to go up.

Over the past four days, massive pumps have been brought in to send millions of gallons of water back into Long Island Sound.

However, as the water is pumped away, it reveals more damage left by Hurricane Sandy.

Bob Marotti returned to his home, which was caked with debris and mud. He also lost his car, which was parked in a garage.

"I opened the glove compartment and there was water in the glove compartment," Marotti said.

The storm has left permanent damage along the town's shoreline.

Fairfield building inspectors reported that 677 homes were affected by the hurricane with 87 having moderate damage, 64 severe damage and 26 being condemned. However, those numbers are expected to grow.

There are also 371 trees and wires down.

The town met with residents Friday who are still not happy about the pace of power restoration.

University of Fairfield students also had their homes damaged and items lost during Hurricane Sandy.

"It's super depressing actually, it's worse than anyone thought," said senior Blake Audett, who was brought to her off-campus housing by the Connecticut National Guard. "Some of the houses at end are completely trashed, debris everywhere, the roads are covered with sand and water. Everything is ruined."

The Connecticut National Guard is taking residents by boat to see their homes and the damage left by the hurricane. Fairfield Beach Road west of Reef Road remains closed to residents.

There are 300 students who live in one section of Fairfield, which was damaged by heavy flooding. The university has room for 130 of them on campus and the rest of them will be offered housing with alumni or faculty.

"That period of time is unknown," said Fairfield University Dean of Students Karen Donoghue. "It could be the remainder of this semester, which goes until December."

More than 400 students have no power on campus, so they've had to sleep in other areas. The university is expected to reopen Monday.

"Some of us are getting tired of sleeping on floors and air mattresses," said Rob Vogel, who is a Fairfield University student. "I think overall we're pulling through."

The university is expected to revisit allowing students to live down by the beach since it has been such a challenge with this storm. As of Friday, there is no timeline for when anyone will be allowed back down there.

Fairfield had 66 utility crews on the job Friday.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.