Robbery victim arrested for beating up teen - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Robbery victim arrested for beating up teen


A robbery victim was arrested Wednesday for beating up a teenager he thought was one of the men who robbed him of hundreds of dollars.

New Haven police said they were sent to a Dunkin' Donuts on Derby Avenue around 7 p.m. after getting reports that a man had fled there to escape being attacked and robbed.

When officers arrived at the shop, four young men were spotted trying to get inside and a man was inside trying to hold the door closed.

The four young men spotted the officer and all fled in different directions.

Police were able to catch up with and arrest one of them, a 17-year-old New Haven boy who is not being identified because he's under age.

Two other police officers caught up to two others as they were trying to enter the bodega at 798 George St.

One was identified as Bruce Morgan, 20, and the other was a 16-year-old boy from New Haven, who is not being identified because of his age.

By the time they were caught and arrested, police were able to meet up with the robbery victim, identified as Devon Byrd, 44, of New Haven.

He told police he was walking to the George Street bodega to buy cigarettes when he was confronted by four young African-American men, thee of whom displayed guns.

One of them ordered him into an alley, Byrd said, and with three guns pointed at him, the robbers demanded his money.

Byrd said he gave up several hundred dollars, and the gunmen yelled at him to give them more money.

Byrd told police that one of them said he would count to five, and then open fire and shoot him.

When he reached four, Byrd said he grabbed one of the other four robbers and threw him into the one that was counting to five.

There was no gunshot.

Byrd told police the four men attacked him by punching him and kicking him. At that time, Byrd said, two other men joined in on the attack.

Byrd told police he and an acquaintance named Mike fought off the attackers, who then fled.

Byrd identified the 17-year-old as the principal robber and also identified the two others as the men who joined in on the attack.

As all of this information was being reported to police, a 15-year-old boy approached the officers and said he had been walking from his grandmother's house to the bodega. He told police he didn't see the robbery happen, but as he passed he said he saw them running from the alley.

He said a man ran up to him, grabbed him and pulled him into the alley. He said the man began to yell at him to give him back the money, at which point he responded by saying he didn't know what he was talking about and didn't have anything to give him,

That's when the man began to punch him several times. He then went and grabbed a nearby broom stick and starting beating him across the face and head as he demanded his money.

Two other people came forward who saw the attack, and they and the 15-year-old identified the attacker as Byrd.

Police said they recovered the broken broom stick and blood in the alley.

Byrd, the robbery victim, was arrested and charged with assault and risk of injury to a minor. He was brought to Yale-New Haven Hospital for treatment.

Morgan and his 16-year-old accomplice were each charged with assault and conspiracy to commit the same.

The 17-year-old ringleader was charged with robbery, assault, larceny, conspiracy to commit robbery and interfering with police.

Police are still looking for the others involved.

Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.