Clarksville attorney killed in confrontation with police - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Clarksville attorney killed in confrontation with police

Todd Hansrote Todd Hansrote

A Clarksville attorney was shot and killed in a confrontation with officers Saturday night, according to the TBI.

Investigators said officers responded to Todd Hansrote's home on Pond Apple Road after receiving a 911 call about a man threatening to kill himself, his wife or anyone who tried to enter the residence.

Police set up a perimeter around the home and started negotiations with Hansrote, who ran a law firm with his wife in downtown Clarksville.

According to Clarksville police spokesman Jim Knoll, officers had intermittent contact with Hansrote, who eventually stopped communicating.

Officers could hear shots being fired inside the house, according to Knoll. In a statement, Knoll said an officer shot the man after he came outside and fired several shots. The 46-year-old suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said it was not the first time officers responded to the home. The owner was known to have a large quantity of weapons, according to police.

Family and friends told Channel 4, the scene didn't match the man. 

"A lot of times the snippet that you get in the newspaper or on television doesn't really give you a fair rendition of the person behind it," said family friend and attorney Greg Smith. 

Hansrote, a well known general practice attorney, worked with his wife.  He also used to own a high end gun store downtown, but a few months ago something went wrong.

First a neck injury, then a freak accident with a grill.

"It blew up on him and literally sprayed almost his entire body," said Smith. 

Hansrote was never the same.

"Prior to that, he was always smiling he would always cut up with you. Afterwards, it was tough for him to walk through the courthouse, not only because he had been injured, but you could tell that just wearing a coat was painful for him," said Smith.

In July Hansrote threatened to kill himself. Police showed up then too.

Family and friends would prefer everyone forget that, and instead remember Hansrote as
a hardworking business man who served his community, a loving husband, and father of three.

"The Todd Hansrote that I've known for years, the last thing he would have wanted  to do would have been to harm or stress his family. If I had one request it would be for people, instead of worrying about how this shouldn't have happened, pray about how the family is going to handle it tomorrow," said Smith.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is now handling the case.

The police officer, who has not been identified, has been placed on administrative leave, which is a matter of routine in officer-involved shootings.

The investigation will be open for several weeks before it is turned over to the District Attorney General for review, according to TBI spokesperson Kristin Helm.

Hansrote's visitation will be on Wednesday from 4 to 8 p.m. and the funeral will be at 2 p.m. on Thursday.

Both will be held at the Neal Tarpley Parchman Funeral Home in Clarksville.

Copyright 2012 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.