Dozens of Fairfield University students have come down with the stomach bug norovirus and a few were hospitalized due to dehydration from their condition.
University spokeswoman Martha Milcarek said the school became aware of the outbreak Tuesday evening when students began showing such symptoms as vomiting and diarrhea. About 20 students were reported sick by Wednesday and, as of Thursday, about 60 students and two or three staff members were ill.
Milcarek said it was initially unclear what had made the students and staff ill, but now it seems likely that they have norovirus, a an inflammation of the stomach or intestines.
She said state and local health officials are investigating.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
The 2014 Cannabis Cup marks a first, held in a city where recreational pot sales are legal, and the crowds flocked to see it.More >
The 2014 Cannabis Cup marks a first, held in a city where recreational pot sales are legal, and the crowds flocked to see it.