More than a dozen people were displaced after a fire at a multi-family home in Waterbury Saturday night.
Firefighters were called to 27 West Porter St. around 10 p.m. Upon arrival, firefighters entered the building, but quickly got out. The fire had to be attacked from the outside, officials said.
Officials said no one was injured; however 17 people were displaced by the fire.
There was extensive damage to the third and fourth floors with seven units being damaged. Massive amounts of water used to put out the fire, officials said.
The American Red Cross is now assisting 14 adults and three children who were living in the home.
Several residents lost everything, but the clothes on their backs, officials said.
Once electric service is returned to the building, residents can stay in the home again, officials said.
The state fire marshal said the fire does not appear suspicious; however it still remains under investigation.
The fire may have been started by the mechanical and electrical systems in the house and the heating units are being investigated.
The building was properly equipped with smoke detectors, which alerted residents.
Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.