A mother and son have been displaced due to an overnight fire.
Longmeadow Fire Chief Eric Madison told CBS 3 that a deteriorating fireplace is to blame for the damage at 16 Westmoreland Ave.
The family had a fire in the fireplace earlier in the evening, however, it spread into the walls around 1 a.m.
The mother woke up when the smoke detector sounded.
Madison said the house suffered approximately $50,000 in damage, but it was all to the walls of the home.
The family is staying with a neighbor for the time being.
Copyright 2012 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
A city-owned car that is issued to Mayor Alex Morse was involved in a drunken driving arrest just after midnight on Saturday.More >
Police were called to the rotary on their side of the Memorial Bridge for a car crash on Saturday afternoon.More >
The Northampton Airport hosted its second annual Fly it Forward event on Saturday, which promotes aviation to women.More >
CBS 3 media partner Mass Live and The Republican reported that the high speed chase started just before 12:30 a.m. on Interstate 291.More >
Four city residents are without a home Saturday night following a fire at their duplex on Ashley Avenue.More >