Lawyer has not withdrawn $100M suit over Newtown, but probably will
By WFSB Staff
NEW HAVEN, CT (WFSB) -
Eyewitness News has learned that a $100 million lawsuit against the state on behalf of two Sandy Hook Elementary School parents has not been withdrawn as of Tuesday afternoon, but could be, according to the New Haven-based attorney, who filed the claim.
According to Attorney Irving Pinsky, there is not a withdrawal on file with the Connecticut claims commissioner as of Tuesday afternoon, but there could be one in the near future.
Pinsky filed the original claim Thursday and previously told Eyewitness News that Connecticut "did not do enough to provide for their safety," referring to the children at Sandy Hook Elementary school.
"The fact is we have to work harder to stop it from happening again, because if we don't affectuate sophisticated scientific methods to stop it, it's gunna happen again," he said.
Adam Lanza shot and killed his mother while she slept earlier this month, and then went to Sandy Hook Elementary School where he shot and killed 20 children, six adults and then killed himself as police moved in.
Pinsky, who has more than 20 years of personal injury experience, also previously told Eyewitness News that Connecticut as well as other states are "failing to protect the children from guns."
"My intention in the whole matter is to stop the violence in the schools, which can be done," he said Tuesday.
Pinsky told Eyewitness News he has been the subject of hundreds of threats, including death threats.
On Tuesday, Eyewitness News visited Pinsky's office in New Haven. However, he at first refused to talk with the station and asked us to leave his property.
The Stamford Advocate reported Pinsky withdrew the suit, but said he might refile. He said he received new evidence on security at Sandy Hook Elementary School and is reviewing it.
However, Pinsky told Eyewitness News that the claim a withdrawal was not yet in the commissioner's office, but probably be filing one.
"The intent of this filing, or lack of filing, withdraw or whatever you want to call it is to calm the waters of all the stress some people seem to feel about this," he said.
Pinsky told Eyewitness News the he has a year to file.
"We will reserve all rights anyway's, so what's the difference?" he said.
Pinsky said he apologized for offending anyone, but he said people were upset about him filing "too early."
"But, the sooner you get the evidence the better off you are," he said.
On Monday, Attorney General George Jepsen's office released a statement, in which he said that he was "aware of no facts or legal theory under which the state of Connecticut should be liable for causing the harms inflicted at Sandy Hook Elementary School."
"The proposed lawsuit is utterly groundless," Jepsen told Eyewitness News Tuesday. "The facts don't support the contention the state somehow showed neglect."
Jepsen said he would defend the state in a potential lawsuit.
"I hope it is withdrawn. It is sad for the tragedy to play out in a courtroom or the commissioner's office," he said. "I hope it does get withdrawn but if not, we'll defend the state and taxpayers of Connecticut."
The Connecticut State Police are still investigating a motive for the killings.
Copyright 2012 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Thursday, May 23 2013 12:30 PM EDT2013-05-23 16:30:43 GMT
Authorities say five people have been arrested in the robbery of $4 million in jewelry from a Connecticut store in an elaborate heist that began with the kidnapping of store employees more than 40 milesMore >
Authorities say five people have been arrested in the robbery of $4 million in jewelry from a Connecticut store in an elaborate heist that began with the kidnapping of store employees more than 40 miles away.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 11:43 AM EDT2013-05-23 15:43:24 GMT
Fallen officer's daughter graduates from kindergarten
Hundreds of Phoenix police officers showed their support for a fallen colleague by attending his daughter's kindergarten graduation in Anthem on Wednesday. Officer Daryl Raetz was killed in the lineMore >
Tatum Raetz, 5, graduated from kindergarten in Anthem Wednesday and hundreds of uniformed Phoenix police officers were there to show their support for the family.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 4:24 PM EDT2013-05-23 20:24:28 GMT
Three people were arrested after police said they stole $30,000 worth of cell phones from a Walmart in Naugatuck early Thursday morning. According to police, the suspects broke into a one of the store'sMore >
Three people were arrested after police said they stole $30,000 worth of cell phones from a Walmart in Naugatuck early Thursday morning.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:05 AM EDT2013-05-23 13:05:24 GMT
For two years, the Channel 3 Eyewitness News I-Team has been following a New Britain woman who has filed dozens of lawsuits. She's sued everyone from Connecticut Light & Power and World Wrestling Entertainment,More >
For two years, the Channel 3 Eyewitness News I-Team has been following a New Britain woman who has filed dozens of lawsuits. More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 6:22 PM EDT2013-05-23 22:22:32 GMT
Firefighters still remain on the scene after a large fire ripped through a multi-family home in the Taftville section of Norwich. The fire broke out in the home on Norwich Avenue around midnight Thursday.More >
More than a dozen people are being helped by the American Red Cross after a large fire ripped through an apartment building in the Taftville section of Norwich.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 11:55 AM EDT2013-05-23 15:55:08 GMT
(RNN) - Dozens of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life. Charles Ramsey, the guy who famously stopped eating his Big MacMore >
More than a dozen of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 5:54 PM EDT2013-05-23 21:54:41 GMT
The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for Litchfield County until 7:15 p.m.The National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated flash flooding from a thunderstorm entering the area,More >
Flooding has been reported in several parts of Connecticut Thursday evening.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:53 AM EDT2013-05-23 13:53:17 GMT
The Newtown Board of Education has unanimously hired a principal from neighboring Bethel to lead the Sandy Hook Elementary School. The News-Times of Danbury reports that Kathleen Gombos, the principalMore >
The Newtown Board of Education has unanimously hired a principal from neighboring Bethel to lead the Sandy Hook Elementary School.More >