Candle left unattended sparks Glendale house fire - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Candle left unattended sparks Glendale house fire

© CBS 5 © CBS 5

A candle left unattended sparked a fire at a Glendale home Wednesday afternoon, fire authorities said.

Firefighters arriving at 5000 West Morten Ave. located the fire in a back bedroom of the home. They were able to extinguish the blaze before it spread to the rest of the residence. 

The occupant had left the home to pick up her children, fire officials said. 

The Glendale Fire Department reminds everyone to use extra care when using candles. Officials pass along these safety tips:

  • Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or going to sleep.
  • Keep candles away from items that can burn such as curtains, clothing and paper.
  • Use sturdy candleholders that won't tip over and are big enough to collect dripping wax.
  • Place candles in areas where children and pets cannot get near them or tip them.
  • Keep candles away from flammable liquids.
  • Trim wicks to one-quarter inch.
  • Discard candles when wicks are within two inches of the holder.
  • Store candles and matches out of a child's reach.
  • Do not use a candle during a power outage, use a flashlight.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.