Family may sue Manchester, South Windsor after daughter's death - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Family may sue Manchester, South Windsor and others after daughter's death


The family of a South Windsor teen who collapsed suddenly at a summer music program held at high school is looking to sue two towns, but more businesses could be named in the possible lawsuit.

An attorney for the family said first responders were not prepared to handle the type of medical call and they believe more could have been done to save the teen's life.

On June 29, Hannah Patrie, 15, was doing endurance training in the high school auditorium for a choral/exercise camp. She collapsed during the training and after 911 was called, South Windsor's ambulance service didn't show, according to Attorney Hubert Santos, who is representing the Patrie family. 

"We know Manchester was called as the backup and Manchester didn't respond," he said. "Finally, it ended up being Aetna, which was around Rocky Hill, which was 23 minutes later."

Patrie family complied the following timeline of what happened. 

  • 2:49 p.m. Student calls 911
  • 2:54 p.m. South Windsor police officer arrives
  • 3:04 p.m. Another officer arrives with AED – not used
  • 3:08 p.m. South Windsor police initiate CPR
  • 3:12 p.m. Ambulance arrives
  • 3:27 p.m. Ambulance departs for Manchester Hospital
  • Hannah was pronounced dead at the hospital, which was almost four hours later.

Santos said first responders weren't able to handle the situation.

"The police that responded were also not equipped to provide the care that Hannah needed," he said. "The sad part of this is her mother, who is a nurse, had to attend to her own daughter who was dying."

While the lawsuit hasn't been filed yet, Santos said they are required under state law to let the towns know they intend to sue. Santos said the family has filed a notice of intent to sue the towns of South Windsor and Manchester earlier this month.

However, Santos added more organizations could be added.

"We know most certainly the towns, the ambulance companies, maybe some personnel from the police department who responded," Santos said. "This is still being developed."

He said that decision could come in about six months. But, there is a reason why the family want to go ahead with this.

"So it won't happen to another child in Connecticut and that's their principal motivation," Santos said.

The Patrie family is still waiting for the autopsy results, which are expected in a few months. Santos said the family is thinking about who they lost.

"Her funeral service was attended by hundreds of people and she was just one of those likable, warm loving kids," he said. "And this is a great tragedy."

Eyewitness news called the attorney for both South Windsor and Manchester.

Manchester didn't return the station's calls. However, South Windsor's town attorney said they haven't analyzed the situation and can't make a comment at this time.

Eyewitness News called Aetna and they said ambulance response times depend on where they are going as well as factors such as traffic and weather.

On average if it's in the same town, response time should be between five and six minutes, Aetna told Eyewitness News.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.