Cat to blame for apartment fire in Springfield - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Cat to blame for apartment fire in Springfield

Posted: Updated:
SPRINGFIELD, MA (WSHM) -

A pet cat is to blame for a fire inside an apartment that started just before midnight Friday night.

Dennis Leger, aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant, told CBS 3 that the resident inside an apartment at 149 Sumner Ave. said his cat knocked over a candle onto the bed in the front bedroom.

The 40-unit apartment complex was evacuated for approximately one hour.

Damage to the single apartment is estimated at $20,000 to $25,000.

That resident is the only person displaced, but he declined Red Cross assistance.

Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.