Police: South Windsor attack was not random act - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Police: South Windsor attack was not random act


Police told Eyewitness News that they do not believe the brutal attack of two men at a South Windsor business was a random act of violence.

South Windsor police said they were called to Forced Induction Motorsports, LLC on Edwin Road at about 9:30 p.m. when one of the victims called 911 for help.

When officers arrived, they said they located two men, identified as business owner Robert Lareau, 28, of Enfield and Ryan Kelleher, 21, of Windsor, suffering from serious injuries to their face and head, and believe they were attacked with a pipe or pipe-like object.

According to police, Lareau was unresponsive when they arrived.

Both men were brought to Hartford Hospital for treatment and remained there Wednesday night. According to South Windsor police, Lareau remains in intensive care and Kelleher was conscious and able to assist police with the investigation.

"They stay there pretty late because usually when they do test those cars at Dyno. You don't want to do it during the day because you actually will bother the neighbors," said Jose Colon of Wholesale Appliance of South Windsor. "So, they do it actually at night, when nobody's around."

The Connecticut State Police Major Crimes Unit has been working to collect evidence at the crime scene, and investigators have not said what a possible motive for the attack was or if anything inside the business was stolen.

"It's kind of an isolated area, especially after normal business hours," said South Windsor police Chief Matt Reed. "If anyone was in the Edwin Road/Route 5 area of South Windsor and you saw something suspicious, contact the South Windsor Police Department and pass on any information they may have."

Police said they were at the hospital overnight interviewing one of the men, hoping they can gather more information as to who is responsible for the attack.

On Wednesday, business owners on Edwin Road reacted to the new of the incident.

"It's kind of crazy. It happened right next to us too," said Andrew James of MSR Steel. "It's shocking but, unfortunately, stuff like that happens."

As of Wednesday afternoon, police have not released any kind of theory on what the motive was for this attack, but do not believe it was random.

No suspects have been named at this time.

The incident remains under investigation by the South Windsor Police Department. Anyone who saw anything suspicious in the Edwin Road area Tuesday between 8:30 p.m. and 9:20 p.m. is asked to call the South Windsor Police Department at 860-644-2551.

Forced Induction Motorsports works on high performance cars and was started by Lareau four years ago, according to the company's website.

Friends of the victims have set up a Facebook page for the two men.

"Hate when bad things happen to other enthusiasts," Jeremy Connor wrote on the wall. "Keep your heads up guys we're all pulling for you."

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.