Norwich officer remains in 'fair condition' after standoff - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Norwich officer remains in 'fair condition' after 11-hour standoff

© The photo shows officer Jonathan Ley (Courtesy of the Norwich Bulletin) © The photo shows officer Jonathan Ley (Courtesy of the Norwich Bulletin)

A 14-year veteran of the Norwich Police Department remains in fair condition at Yale-New Haven Hospital after he was shot multiple times during an 11-hour standoff Monday night.

Officers were called to an apartment at the Cedar Glen Apartments on Cedar Road where Jason Razzino, 30, was armed and having suicidal thoughts.

When officers arrived, they said Razzino began to fire a rifle and handgun at responding officers, who were in the hallway of the building, and that's when Jonathan Ley was shot four times, according to state police.

Ley was immediately brought to Backus Hospital, which was briefly locked down during the standoff, and was then brought to Yale-New Haven Hospital via LIFE STAR.

He was listed in critical condition after being shot, police said, but his status has since been upgraded to "fair." He remains in the intensive care unit, but is expected to be transferred to a step-down unit in the near future.

According to other veterans, Ley is Boatswain's Mate 3rd Class in the United States Coast Guard Port Security Unit 301, which was located in Cape Cod, MA. He was a Coast Guard reservist and was called to active duty twice, once following the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, and in 2009 to Kuwait.

"We are all hoping and praying for the best for John," veteran Carlos Sowell previously told Eyewitness News. "He is very highly-respected in our unit."

The mission of the United States Coast Guard Port Security Unit 301 is "anti-terrorism and U.S. force protection operations," with almost all their missions being overseas operations, according to Cmdr. Louis Luba.

Officers described him as a family man, but would not discuss if he was married. However, it was learned he has a 2-year-old son.

Razzino was found in a bathroom from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head after an 11-hour standoff, police said.

The Connecticut State Police, who were originally assisting Norwich police, have since taken over the investigation. There were no updates Wednesday night in the investigation.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.