An Avondale family was able to escape unharmed from a house fire that claimed the lives of the family pets early Friday morning.
Avondale firefighters said a malfunctioning clothes dryer started the fire that spread into the attic. Extensive damage was done to the interior of the house, a firefighter told CBS 5 News.
The mother, father and one child were inside but got out safely. Two birds and a cat died from smoke inhalation, according to firefighters.
No other information was immediately available.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.