Malloy: FEMA deadline extended to Jan. 28 - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Malloy: FEMA deadline extended to Jan. 28

Posted: Updated:
HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

Gov. Dannel Malloy announced the Federal Emergency Management Agency has extended the deadline for Hurricane Sandy disaster assistance until Jan. 28.

"With more than $20 million in federal aid approved already, there is clearly a need for many residents for assistance," Malloy said. "Extending this deadline will ensure any resident or business affected by Sandy has ample time to apply for assistance."

According to state officials, about 13,000 Connecticut residents in Fairfield, Middlesex, New Haven and New London counties, the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation and the Mohegan Tribal Nation have registered for assistance. And so far, $13 million has been approved.

Officials said the most applications are from Fairfield County with 8,000.

The money can be used to help homeowners, renters and small business owners.

Some residents impacted by the storm have decided to rebuild, but it could be several months before they are back in their homes.

"We probably won't get back in until April," said Ken Davis, whose house was damaged during Sandy. "All the floors have to come up, the sub floors, the walls have to be stripped, the insulation has to come out."

To apply for FEMA aid after Hurricane Sandy, click the following link.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.