DNR: 2012 hunting season was safest in 5 years - WFSB 3 Connecticut

DNR: 2012 hunting season was safest in 5 years

Posted: Updated:
LANSING, MI (AP) -

State officials say Michigan's 2012 hunting season was the safest in five years.

Fifteen safety incidents were reported, including one death in September when a coyote hunter shot another hunter in St. Clair County. The Department of Natural Resources says there were three fewer incidents in 2011, but five were fatal.

DNR law enforcement chief Gary Hagler said Wednesday the keys to avoiding such mishaps include wearing orange clothing, being certain of the target and handling firearms safely.

Three of last year's incidents involved shooters who were minors. The youngest was a 6-year-old boy who was unloading his gun when it discharged hitting his father in the leg.

The number of incidents has dropped sharply since 2007, when there were 32. Hegler credits Michigan's hunter education program for the improvement.

Copyright 2013 Associated Press.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.