Firefighters say an overloaded circuit breaker started a fire in the attic of a home on East Street in Ware Friday night.
Ware firefighters were able to contain the flames to the attic. The fire caused around $20,000 in damage.
The family of five that lives in the home will not be able to stay there tonight and are getting help from the American Red Cross.
There is water damage in the home but it is not a total loss.
Firefighters say this type of electrical fire should be a lesson to all.
"We're all trying to stay warm in this frigid weather but we got to make sure we doing it safely and that includes wood stoves, pellet stoves, and that we're keeping a 3 foot radius around it with non combustibles," said Chief Thomas Coulombe.
The Red Cross is also helping firefighters with snacks, coffee and water.
Copyright 2013 WSHM (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, July 18 2014 3:26 PM EDT2014-07-18 19:26:33 GMT
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer.More >
It's been an extremely difficult day for family and friends as well as officers. So many people were crying, upset as the body of 5-year-old Janaya Thompson was removed from an abandoned trailer. Coroner Gary Hargrove said Janaya's body was found in a bathroom.More >