Chocolate Lovers Expo
Crown Plaza 1284 Strongtown Rd., Southbury, CT
Tickets $20 in advance, $25 at the door and Children (ages 5-12) $5.
For more information visit http://waterburyct.easterseals.com
Almond Joy Cupcakes
The Chocolate Cupcakes
1 cup cocoa
1 cup water, boiling
2 cups flour
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. In an electric mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed until blended.
4. Add eggs and cocoa mixture. Blend on low speed for about 1 minute. Scrape down the bowl.
5. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat on low speed 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth. Ladle batter into cupcake lined pans.
6. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until tester comes out with a fine crumb. Remove pan from the oven.
7. Remove cupcakes from the pan and cool on wire cooling rack. Cool completely before filling and frosting.
The Coconut Filling
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
one 15-oz. can coconut milk
1 cup coconut juice
4 cups shredded coconut
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour in coconut milk and coconut juice and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat whisking constantly until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in coconut. Cool completely. Can be made 2 to 3 days in advance. Store refrigerated, in an airtight container.
The Ganache Drizzle
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, chopped
½ cup heavy cream
1. In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream until just about boiling, stirring constantly. Place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour hot cream over chocolate and stir to blend well. Cool to room temperature until mixture resembles thick pudding. Use immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container. To re-heat ganache, slowly heat in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth.
The Assembly: Spoon a scoop of coconut filling on top of each cupcake. Dip top in chopped almonds and drizzle with ganache.