(Source: CBS 5 News) Colin Williams of Rural-Metro fire said firefighters were met with "tons of debris" in the house that comprised a number of add-on rooms near University Drive and Loop 202.
PHOENIX (CBS5) -
A Rural-Metro firefighter was shocked but two adults, including a woman nine months pregnant and 3-year-old child, were safe after a fire broke out in a mobile home on a county island in the far East Valley.
Colin Williams of Rural-Metro said firefighters were met with "tons of debris" in the house that comprised a number of add-on rooms that were under construction near University Drive and Loop 202.
The additional rooms made it difficult for firefighters to determine the exact spots of the fire, Williams said. The debris in and around the residence fueled the fire and made it tougher for crews to extinguish.
He said the firefighter was shocked because of a convoluted system of wiring that had multiple sources of power. He was not seriously injured and continued to fight the fire, Williams said.
He said the family was awakened by the pregnant woman's mother, who smelled smoke.
"This easily could have been a fatal fire," Williams said.
The homeowner admitted the family had removed the batteries from smoke detectors in the house, Williams said.
The cause of the fire was still under investigation.
Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.