For King Cake's and more visit La Brioche Bakery in Vernon!
Or try your own King Cake Recipe:
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
½ cup all purpose shortening
4 cups all purpose flour
2 lg. eggs
1 cup milk (room temperature)
2 sm. packs active dry yeast
¼ tsp lemon flavor
¼ tsp orange flavor
¼ tsp vanilla flavor
¼ tsp butter flavor
½ cup canola oil
½ cup cinnamon sugar
3 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp purple food color
1 tsp yellow food color
1 tsp green food color
- In a mixer at first speed combine 1/3 cup granulated sugar, salt, and shortening until well creamed.
- Add eggs and continue to cream.
- Dissolve the yeast in the milk and add the flavors.
- Once dissolved add to creamed mixture and continue to mix.
- Add flour and mix until dough tightens.
- Remove from mixer and kneed into a ball.
- At this point sprinkle some flour on top and cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Allow the dough to rest for 1½ hours.
- While the dough is resting mix your colored sugars.
- Start by taking one cup of sugar and your yellow food coloring.
- Mix by hand with a wire wisk in a metal bowl until the sugar turns yellow.
- Pour your yellow sugar into a separate bowl and put off to the side.
- Repeat this process mixing green then purple. (By doing them in that order you only dirty one mixingbowl)
- When dough has rested roll out into an oblong piece.
- Brush on canola oil covering the entire piece.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar liberally over the whole piece.
- Once the dough is covered with the cinnamon sugar and oil, fold it in half lengthwise.
- Cut into 3 strips and braid the dough.
- Gently roll the dough by starting at one end and working all the way down to the other end.
- This will make the dough a nice long piece that can then be shaped into a circle.
- Once shaped place on a baking pan covered with piece of parchment.
- Allow the dough to rest again until it doubles in size.
- At this point take a spoon and alternate sprinkling the three colored sugars on top of your circular piece of dough.
- Bake at 370 degrees F for 12-15 minutes until dough is golden brown. Then laissez les bon temps rouler!