Tuesday, March 5 2013 8:29 PM EST2013-03-06 01:29:52 GMT
A JJs restaurant hostess said she thought she was going to die when an explosion rocked her restaurant Tuesday night, and she is frantic with fear for a missing friend."I thought I was going to die. Honestly,More >
A JJ's restaurant hostess said she thought she was going to die when an explosion rocked her restaurant Tuesday night, and she is frantic with fear for a missing friend and co-worker. More >
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
A Kansas City doctor says a Time Warner Cable subcontractor was notified about a gas leak hours before an explosion rocked a popular restaurant on the Country Club Plaza.
The doctor says crews had a lackadaisical attitude about concerns, and that one person was allowed to smoke in the area after receiving complaints about the strong odor of gas.
The explosion tore through the area about 6 p.m. Tuesday. The first report had been made at 1 p.m. to the Heartland Midwest, when they smelled the strong odor, said Dr. John Verstraete.
"We were really upset. They seemed to laugh it off," he said in an interview with KCTV5's Sandra Olivas. "The construction crews working outside. We were like, 'Hey, we smell gas.' . . . They were just, 'Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.'"
He said his employees assumed that subcontractor would have it investigated and notify Missouri Gas Energy.
He said one of the construction workers even was smoking outside, which upset some of the doctor's office employees because of how strong the smell of gas was.
Verstraete of Plaza Physicians Group said Missouri Gas Energy crews finally had come out and tested the air about 5 p.m. He said the crews determined that the natural gas was at a dangerous level and advised immediate evacuation.
"We locked up the doors and tried to get our personal items," he explained. "It was like two minutes and all of a sudden there was this big explosion. It went through you like a sonic wave. You felt it go through your body."
He said glass shattered, and an upper floor wall caved in.
"I know JJs took most of the explosion," he said. "I just hope everyone is OK that was in there."
Everyone made it out of the doctor's office and spa. Outside, they discovered a bystander who had been injured by debris.
The doctor provided aid to his cuts, bruises and scrapes.
"He was shell-shocked," Verstraete said.
His two dogs were inside the office at 906 W. 48th St. when the explosion occurred.
Verstraete's yellow lab Perseus panicked and bolted. The dog was last seen near the Nelson-Atkins Museum. If you see the dog, please call the doctor at 816-756-3526.
He said he is quite concerned about everyone inside JJ's at the time of the explosion. He said he cannot imagine the extent of injuries suffered by those closer to the blast than him and others in his office building.
"This is a terrible ordeal that happened," Verstraete said. "I hope they are OK."
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >
Saturday, May 18 2013 10:09 AM EDT2013-05-18 14:09:50 GMT
A train derailment was reported near the Bridgeport and Fairfield city lines Friday night. Few details have been released on the derailment, but the incident was reported around 6:30 p.m. in the area ofMore >
Dozens of passengers and employees were among those injured when two Metro-North trains collided near a station in Fairfield Friday night.More >
By H. Gilbert Welch, Special to CNN updated 8:12 AM EDT, Fri May 17, 2013Editor's note: H. Gilbert Welch is a professor of medicine at the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical PracticeMore >
I first saw the headline early Tuesday on Real Clear Politics, a political news site where I generally start my morning. It's not where I expect to see a story on breast cancer.
Wednesday, May 15 2013 2:57 PM EDT2013-05-15 18:57:11 GMT
The old saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen." Perhaps, this applies to Kitchen Nightmares, as well. An Arizona bakery was featured on Friday's episode of the Gordon RamseyMore >
The old saying goes, "If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen." Perhaps, this applies to Kitchen Nightmares, as well.More >
Saturday, May 18 2013 7:58 PM EDT2013-05-18 23:58:37 GMT
Happy Saturday, Rain is on its way – as expected – but it will not hamper the entire weekend. Early this morning, there will be low clouds, fog and drizzle in many parts of Connecticut. This will haveMore >
Thursday, May 16 2013 3:45 PM EDT2013-05-16 19:45:11 GMT
Police arrested a Toronto woman, who was trying to get into the charity polo match in Greenwich where Prince Harry was playing.According to police, Wen Qi, 36, was trying to enter the Conyers Farms PoloMore >
Police arrested a Toronto woman, who was trying to get into the charity polo match in Greenwich where Prince Harry was playing.More >
South Korea says North Korea has fired three short-range guided missiles into its eastern waters. Pyongyang routinely test-launches such missiles.More >
North Korea fired three short-range guided missiles into its eastern waters on Saturday, a South Korean official said. It routinely tests such missiles, but the latest launches came during a period of tentative diplomacy...More >
Friday, May 17 2013 5:19 PM EDT2013-05-17 21:19:20 GMT
CSP arrive in Trumbull after a body was found Friday morning
A body was discovered along a road on the Bridgeport and Trumbull town lines Friday morning, according to police.No other information was released.Refresh this page and watch Eyewitness News for updatesMore >
State police said they are investigating the discovery of human remains in a wooded area near the Bridgeport/Trumbull town lines Friday morning.More >