Police arrest man following suspicious fire in Old Saybrook - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Police arrest man following suspicious fire in Old Saybrook


An Old Saybrook man was arrested after a suspicious fire broke out at an Old Saybrook home Friday morning which resulted in a woman plunging from a second-story window to escape the inferno.

Glenn Alburtus, 60, and Susan Alburtus, 55, are married and have lived at the home for about eight years.

The ordeal began around 5:15 a.m. as a domestic argument at a home at Beaver Dam Trail, police said. When officers arrived at the home, they said they heard a woman screaming for help on the second floor.

Police said they immediately entered the home, where they were met with thick, black smoke and heavy fire inside.

Susan Alburtus was ultimately forced to leap from the second floor, and the fall left her with serious injuries.

By the time the fire was brought under control, four people, including two first responders, were brought to local hospitals to be treated for injuries.

Susan Alburtus was brought to a local hospital via a medical helicopter.

Police said they believe Glenn Alburtus started the fire, and neighbors said they saw him handcuffed and on a stretcher before being brought to a hospital.

Glenn Alburtus, who remains in the burn unit at Bridgeport Hospital, was arrested Friday and charged with second-degree threatening, first-degree reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct and first-degree unlawful restraint.

In addition, an officer and firefighter were hurt and were treated and released from a local hospital.

"It's such a horrific thing and we just feel bad for everyone," said Sue Costa, who has lived in the neighborhood for 29 years.

More than 12 hours after the fire, crews remained on the scene gathering evidence.

The Old Saybrook Police Department said the fire, which was classified as "suspicious," remains under investigation and additional charges could be filed.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.