The governor of Kansas now says six people in the state died as a result of the storm and that includes a brother and sister who died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The siblings were using a generator after the power went out at their homes.
A relative of theirs is now using their tragedy as a warning to others about not making the same deadly mistake.
"It's tough, everyone expects eventually to pass but, to lose two important family members at the same time, it's rough," Jason Mendez said.
Mendez said it still seems unreal to think of losing two family members in one day. His aunt, Alice Oropeza, 69, and her brother, 58-year-old Nick Oropeza, were found not breathing in their Kansas City, KS, home off North 51st Street near Kimball Avenue Tuesday afternoon.
"Actually it was one of my cousins who found them and tried to revive them and worked on them until EMS got here," Mendez said. "And unfortunately they were unable to do so."
Like so many others, the Oropezas were in the dark without electricity because of the snow storm, so they ran a generator in the garage, unaware a silent killer, carbon monoxide, was filling their home. That's why Mendez wants to urge families to check on their loves ones before it's too late.
"A lot of them, when they get cold, they do what they have to do to stay warm and, unfortunately, it was a bad choice. The garage wasn't open wide enough and the fumes took them," he said.
Mendez said his aunt and uncle left behind 21 nieces and nephews who adored them.
"My aunt was definitely someone who liked to feed everyone, she was someone that kept us amused," he said. "My uncle was another one who was a good time. As you can see, he has a limo. He was one to go on trips all the time. Chicago, New Orleans."
Fire officials did a reading for the carbon monoxide level in their home and found it to be 600 parts per million, or ppm. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency's website, "Average levels in homes without gas stoves vary from 0.5 to 5 ppm. Levels near properly adjusted gas stoves are often 5 to 15 ppm and those near poorly adjusted stoves may be 30 ppm or higher."
The standard allowed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is no more than 50 ppm.
When they saw the reading fire crews found a generator in the basement that was still running. They shut it off and opened up all the doors and windows until their meters read normal carbon monoxide levels.
Mendez said he hopes others can avoid the tremendous pain his family is now left to cope with.
"Just remember them, if you knew them you know they were good people. Just remember them for who they were," he said.
The fire department wanted to caution others who are using generators at this time to follow the manufacturer's manual and not to run it indoors. It must be operated outside.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Friday, May 24 2013 4:38 AM EDT2013-05-24 08:38:10 GMT
(RNN) - A bridge in Washington has collapsed and at least two cars are in the water, according to KING 5 TV out of Seattle. The bridge is part of Interstate 5. There is no word on injuries. Copyright 2013More >
A photo from the scene showed a man sitting on top of his car, which was partially submerged.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 8:09 AM EDT2013-05-24 12:09:42 GMT
The chief medical examiner's office says a former New Milford officer convicted of an on-duty killing committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning. Forty-one-year-old Scott Smith was found dead in aMore >
The chief medical examiner's office says a former New Milford officer convicted of an on-duty killing committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning.More >
Friday, May 24 2013 9:45 AM EDT2013-05-24 13:45:18 GMT
Happy Saturday, Rain is on its way – as expected – but it will not hamper the entire weekend. Early this morning, there will be low clouds, fog and drizzle in many parts of Connecticut. This will haveMore >
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:04 PM EDT2013-05-24 01:04:37 GMT
A Connecticut bill banning young people from using indoor tanning services is moving to the governor's desk. The state House of Representatives voted Thursday, 117-21, to pass legislation forbidding anyoneMore >
A Connecticut bill banning young people from using indoor tanning services is moving to the governor's desk.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 7:43 PM EDT2013-05-23 23:43:36 GMT
The National Weather Service issued a flash flood warning for Litchfield County until 7:15 p.m.The National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated flash flooding from a thunderstorm entering the area,More >
Flooding has been reported in several parts of Connecticut Thursday evening.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 9:08 PM EDT2013-05-24 01:08:56 GMT
Five people were arrested in the robbery of $4 million in jewelry fromAccording to police, first two people were bound and gagged with duct tape during home invasion on Gravel Street in Meriden duringMore >
Five people were arrested after a brazen overnight jewelry store robbery that involved kidnapping and hours of being tied up while the suspects loaded up $5 million in jewels.More >
Thursday, May 23 2013 8:24 PM EDT2013-05-24 00:24:41 GMT
Jurors deadlocked on a verdict of life or death for Jodi Arias in the 2008 killing of her one-time boyfriend were visibly upset when their verdict was read in court, CBS 5 reporter Elizabeth Erwin said. "SomeMore >
"We will proceed with the intent to retry the penalty phase" of the Jodi Arias trial, said Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery after the jury deadlocked whether she should get life or death.More >