Lawsuit filed against Bellagio for razor blade attack - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Lawsuit filed against Bellagio for razor blade attack

Posted: Updated:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

Joyce Rhone has filed suit against the Bellagio for negligence after a vicious razor blade attack in December 2012.

Metro police say Brenda Stokes attacked Rhone with razor blades while she was working on Dec. 21.

"Two razor blades, one in each hand. She started slicing Joyce's face while she was dealing 21 at table 13 at the Bellagio," Rhone's attorney, Harold Gewerter, said.

Court documents show Stokes was in the casino on her day off, which is against company policy. They say she even talked with a manager before the attack.

When the attack happened, a player had to rush the attacker to help Rhone, Gewerter said.

"This patron pulled her off and subdued her, put her hands behind her back and took away the razor blades," Gewerter said.

Gewerter said Rhone hobbled a few hundred feet, holding her face together, and no one came to help her. He said that eventually a food server stopped just before the paramedics arrived.

"None of the security personnel, none of the casino managers or assistant managers came to her aid. They all watched her hobble through there. They treated her with absolute, utter contempt and disrespect, and all she was doing was trying to do her job at the time," Gewerter said.

Gewerter said employees didn't render aid because they're trained to guard the Bellagio chips. As a result, he said, the emotional and physical scars Rhone is living with are even deeper.

"All I can say is someone steals a $5 chip, and there's security guards jumping on you. Someone slashes a face open, and everyone watches a horror movie and doesn't come to help you," Gewerter said.

Rhone is on medical leave right now from her job of about 14 years. She's suing for a multimillion dollar judgement and has asked for a jury trial. Gewerter did not specify the amount.

The Bellagio will be served with the suit later this week and will have 20 days to respond.

Since the casino has not received the suit, they could not comment.

Last week, Stokes was indicted on murder and kidnapping charges in the death of 10-year-old Jade Morris. That happened the same day as the alleged attack on Rhone. Stokes is due in court in early March.

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.