Complaints filed with the state are piling up after clients claim they put down deposits at an East Windsor banquet facility that is now in foreclosure.
The attorney general's office is now looking into more than a dozen complaints about La Renaissance.
Some brides told Eyewitness News that they put down as much as a $5,000 deposit, but now they are looking for other venues to have their weddings.
The brides told Eyewitness News that they are still not getting emails or calls returned from the facility. So, Eyewitness News tried to get answers directly from La Renaissance's attorney.
Kim Denya booked her wedding at La Renaissance in March 2012 and it was set for next month.
"This definitely threw us for a loop," she said.
Court documents show La Renaissance went into foreclosure earlier this year. The sale is now set for April 27.
"We couldn't get a hold of anybody," Denya said. "Still haven't heard anything from them."
Since Eyewitness News aired a story on the venue last week, the station has received dozens of calls, emails and Facebook posts from other clients with all of them wondering where to turn next.
Eyewitness News attempted to meet with attorney Peter Ressler, who represents La Renaissance. However, his secretary said "he's tied up so he won't be able to see you."
Ressler never talked to Eyewitness News Thursday, even after he told the station over the phone earlier this week that he'd get back to us.
The Connecticut Attorney General's Office and the Department of Consumer Protection are looking into La Renaissance and there are currently 18 complaints against the venue.
Anyone who feels they were victimized by La Renaissance is asked to contact the Connecticut Attorney General's Consumer Assistance Unit at 860-808-5400 or the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection at 1-800-842-2649.
Connecticut residents can also file their complaints online by clicking the following link.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.