Manchester police officer shot by fellow officer during college - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Manchester police officer shot by fellow officer during college lockdown


About 24 hours after the lockdown was lifted at Manchester Community College, the campus seemed back to normal.

A lockdown was issued after a student reported seeing a man with a "handgun protruding out from his waistband" Wednesday afternoon.

About 4,000 people were "under a shelter-in-place emergency," while police searched each classroom.

During the lockdown, a Manchester police officer was shot in the foot. However, he did not shoot himself. It was an accidental discharge by another officer.

After about six hours, the lockdown was lifted after no one with a firearm was located on the campus.

"I wasn't really apprehensive," said student Jonathan Taylor. "I think they got everything under control now."

Some students told Eyewitness News that it was hard to come to Manchester Community College Thursday morning.

"My parents actually had to convince me to come back to school today," said student Diana Dunn.

State police told Eyewitness News even though the possible suspect was never found, it believes the call the agency received on the suspect was believable.

However, students and faculty alike give the college high marks for how it handled the situation.

"I feel as though they handled it well. From the updates they gave me, they gave me like a million updates," said Manchester Community College Instructor Crystal Wiggins. "I got like ten updates during the time they were locking down the classrooms."

Students at Manchester Community College were alerted of the situation via text message, the school website and media outlets.

Manchester Community College President Gena Glickman spoke at a campus safety  at the State Capitol in Hartford Thursday morning.

Manchester Community College has their own sworn officers and they called Manchester Police Department for help.

On Thursday, Glickman discussed her proposal to get weapons for her five unarmed, but state certified police officers.

"They can't be part of the response team," she said. "They can be part of the logistics team, which they certainly were. They were invaluable yesterday, but they had to turn over their keys."

Glickman said she believes arming the Manchester Community College police could be done at little, if any, cost. It must be approved by the Connecticut Board of Regents.

Police told Eyewitness News the suspect is believed to be a heavyset Hispanic man, who is possibly 5'8" to 5"10" and wearing a red short-sleeved shirt.

No arrests have been made at this time and no evidence was located.

The incident remains under investigation by state police.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.