A Nashville woman was hospitalized after a fire in her apartment Thursday evening that likely began in the kitchen.
The fire was reported before 7 p.m. at the Mercury Court Apartments on Murfreesboro Road.
When firefighters arrived, the flames weren't the only danger they had to contend with.
"Our problem was heavy smoke in that apartment. The guys did a really good job. The crews went in there and quickly pulled this victim out," said Assistant Fire Chief Steve Holt.
Firefighters rescued the woman inside, and she was transported to a local hospital in critical condition.
No other units were damaged in the fire.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.