Tavern Nights 2013
Friday, March 15; and Saturday, April 6 at the Noah Webster House. Each night offers a different menu or entertainment. Sittings are offered at 6 & 8 p.m. on Fridays and 5:30 and 7:30 p.m. on Saturdays. Reservations are required.
$32 non-member guests
· 1.5lb braising steak, cut into small pieces
· 16 fl oz beef stock
· 2 pastry crusts
· 4oz red wine
· 1 chopped onion
· 1 beaten egg
· 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
· 1/4 cup of flour
· 3 tbsp vegetable oil
· 1 bay leaf
· salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the dripping or oil in a large frying pan.
2. In the meantime, trim the fat from the meat and then toss in the flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
3. Fry the meat in the oil until browned. Add onion and garlic.
4. Add wine and stock. Simmer 45 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to a temperature of 300°F
6. Roll out the pastry to the size of the pie dish plus 1inch.
7. Transfer the meat filling to the pie dish and moisten the edge of the dish with water.
8. Trim the edges of the pastry and cut an X in the middle so that steam can escape.
9. Brush with beaten egg or milk to glaze and then bake in the oven for one hour.