Questions remain about delayed EMT arrest - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Questions remain about delayed EMT arrest


Questions remain about what caused the delay in arresting a veteran EMT for possession of child pornography.

Police arrested Corey MacDonald last week after investigators found 13 photos of naked children in sexually explicit positions on his computer.

The charges came even though the evidence was collected almost four years ago. 

On April 10, 2009, Corey MacDonald, 28, was arrested on a voyeurism charge for spying on a roommate with a video camera, while he was living in West Hartford, according to court documents.

In 2009, MacDonald made a plea to reduce his felony voyeurism charge to a misdemeanor of reckless endangerment.

His victim, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Eyewitness News reducing the charge from a felony allowed him to keep his EMT license. 

"For four years, I have been absolutely disgusted that he has been able to treat people," she said.

"In this particular case, it was a little bit of a unique scenario," said Lt. Frank Fallon, with the West Hartford Police Department. "So I can understand how the confusion occurred."

West Hartford police, the one's who arrested MacDonald, explain that in 2009 he admitted to not only videotaping his female roommate, but also possessing photos of naked children.

The department asked the state forensic lab to examine a pair of laptops MacDonald owned for both the voyeurism and child pornography investigations, but got them back three years later, unopened.

State police Lt. Paul Vance told Eyewitness News that happened because of the 2009 plea deal on the main charge of voyeurism.

"The case was disposed of in Superior Court, hence, the examination was no longer necessary," Vance said. "The evidence was returned to the police department."

West Hartford police got another search warrant for McDonald's computers, and the child pornography was finally found, albeit four years later.

"An error can occur. A miscommunication can occur between the investigating detectives and/or the examiner," Vance said. "I wasn't there. I don't know."

State police said their computer crime forensic lab did get backed up because of this massive backlog of cases.

The backlog is smaller now, but it's still there.

Meanwhile, West Hartford is in the process of training one of its own detectives in computer forensics.

Eyewitness News went to MacDonald's home to see if he wanted to comment Monday, but no one answered the door.

Eyewitness News spoke with MacDonald's former roommate and she said she was so traumatized, she changed in her closet for two years and could not go to bathrooms in public places.

"I begged the courts to punish him more severely so he wouldn't be able to practice as an EMT and victimize others who would trust him with their life and loved ones," she told Eyewitness News. "I hope this arrest will be his last and his punishment severe, for he has hurt the most innocent of all victims - the children."

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.