An explosion rocked a Waterbury neighborhood before a multi-family condo building turned into a ball of fire Monday afternoon.
The fire broke out at a building at 61 Proctor St. at about 11:30 a.m.
According to officials, a private contractor for Yankee Gas was in the process of replacing equipment outside the building on Proctor Street.
The unidentified contractor thought the gas service had been shut off, according to fire officials.
The contractor realized that gas was leaking from the service pipe and knew the service was not shut off, according to fire officials.
According to fire officials, the contractor stopped working and tried to control the flow of natural gas.
At the same time, the contractor told some employees to evacuate the building. Everyone managed to get out without any serious injuries.
The gas ignited and the multi-family home burst into flames. Fire investigators said the building is a complete loss.
Six people are now without a home, and American Red Cross was helping the families find temporary places to stay.
Officials from Yankee Gas shut off service to about 80 customers after the explosion and were still in the process of turning the gas back on for several customers.
Residents must be home for their service to be turned back on, Yankee Gas said told Eyewitness News
Yankee Gas is working with Fire investigators to figure out what ignited the gas.
Fire officials are also trying to determine if negligence was an issue.
Yankee Gas officials said they have reached out to those affected by the explosion and "are making arrangements right now to put them up in local hotels."
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.