Gov. Dannel Malloy has weighed in on the ongoing investigation into the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December.
"Like many others, I was disappointed and angered to learn that certain information about the Newtown shooting had been leaked, specifically with concern for the victim's families who may have been hearing this news for the first time," Malloy said.
Malloy said he contacted the Chief State's Attorney's Office and they agreed to release additional information that is relevant to the investigation and to provide information about where the investigation currently stands.
"As to what information can reasonably be shared at this time, that is a question that must be left to the State's Attorney and other law enforcement," Malloy said. "As a former prosecutor, I'm sensitive to the need for an independent investigation and believe that we must allow their work to continue without any undue interference."
State Republican House Leader Larry Cafero had called on investigators to give lawmakers a detailed report on their findings in order to help them draft legislation.
Malloy, in his statement, lashed out at Cafero.
"To Mr. Cafero and those others I must ask: what more could you possibly need to know? We know for a fact that on Dec. 14, a very disturbed young man took a military-style rifle with high-capacity magazines into a school and murdered 20 innocent children and six innocent adults. We know he had access to that weapon and others, although they were registered to someone else."
Malloy said the vast majority of people here in Connecticut can all agree on one "simple, common-sense thing we can do right now: ban the sale of the weapon he used, to outlaw the high-capacity magazines he used, and to put in place systems that will make it much more difficult for a weapon like that to fall into the wrong hands."
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Sunday, August 31 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-08-31 19:28:29 GMT
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online.More >
Disturbing pictures of an injured kindergartner from Pascagoula have made a mother's call for action go viral online. Friends and family of a Pascagoula kindergarten student have created a Facebook page and GoFundMe.com account claiming the girl was attacked on the playground this week by another student.More >
Sunday, August 31 2014 4:12 PM EDT2014-08-31 20:12:10 GMT
CONWAY, SC (WMBF) – Dozens of videos are all over Twitter from parties held at Coastal Carolina University. Many of the posts lead back to a group called I'm Shmacked. It makes videos at universitiesMore >
Dozens of videos are all over social media from parties held at Coastal Carolina University.More >