Rice Pie from Sweet Maria's
This classic crustless Italian rice pie is like a tasty baked rice pudding. This recipe can be easily doubled to please a larger crowd.
3 cups water
½ cup rice
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups ricotta
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium heat. Add rice. Reduce heat to low and cook until al dente, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Drain rice and cool.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F.
4. In an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs. Add sugar and vanilla. Add ricotta and beat until smooth.
5. Stir in rice and milk. Pour into an ungreased 9-inch cake pan or pie dish. Sprinkle top with cinnamon. Carefully place in oven. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until center is just about set.
6. Remove pie from the oven. Cool on wire cooling rack. Refrigerate until serving. Serve chilled.
Yield: One 9-inch pie, about 12 servings.