Suspect shot by police in Bridgeport dies - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Suspect shot by police in Bridgeport dies


The family of a Bridgeport man, who was shot and killed by a 15-year veteran of the force after police said he pointed a rifle at the officer, spoke to Eyewitness News.

Bridgeport officers were in the area of Pequonnock Street and Benham Avenue around 9:15 p.m.

According to police, witnesses alerted an officer who was on his break inside Golfinho's Fish Market, of a man outside with a rifle.

Police said detective Christopher Borona exited the establishment and observed a man, who would be later identified as 21-year-old Bryan Stukes, armed with a rifle, which was pointed at another person. 

Borona drew his weapon, at which time, police said Stukes turned the rifle on the officer. The officer fired off two shots, striking the suspect.

Stukes ran off, but collapsed and was found a short distance away in the 300 block of Coleman Street, police said.

"He shouldn't have never had the gun, but the cops still could have taken down a different way," said family member Denise Wilson.

He was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital where he later died from his injuries.

The Office of the Chief States Medical examiner will perform an autopsy on Stukes' body.

Police said they also recovered .22 caliber lever action rifle from the scene.

A memorial was setup in front of Golfinho's Market where the shooting took place.

"This is sad, this is all sad," said family member Denise Wilson. "We just lost our grandmother and now our cousin. It's just not fair."

On Tuesday, family members were placing flowers and candles at the memorial.

"We going to stay strong," family member Michelle Wilson. "We are doing it for the family."

Borona, who was not physically injured, was taken to St. Vincent's Hospital for evaluation, police said.

People in the area said they're surprised this shooting happened here.

"My neighborhood? It's a good neighborhood," said Sevaria Douglas, who lives in the area. "It's crazy. I heard that ... the gun and the cop, that's crazy. Um, I'm just gonna stay in the house."

The Bridgeport State Attorney's Office will be assisting state police as they conduct a thorough investigation of the incident.

The shooting near Golfinho's Fish Market is the second shooting involving a police officer in Bridgeport this year.

The first one occurred in late January on Lafayette Street. A University of Bridgeport security guard saw a man, who was later identified as Michael Stinson, 35, of Bridgeport, breaking into a cruiser.

Stinson was shot several times by police after he refused to drop a knife and even lunged at officers.

Stinson, who was also shot with a Taser, was able to recover from his injuries.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation).  All rights reserved.