Trooper released from hospital after being shot - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Trooper released from hospital after being shot


A 21-year veteran of the Connecticut State Police is recovering after being released from a hospital in Essex on Tuesday after being shot.

Trooper Scott Wisner was shot Monday afternoon while confronting two suspects involved in what appears to be a robbery.

One of the suspects was taken to Middlesex Shoreline Medical Center in Essex where he died.

However, it is unclear if he was injured during the crash or shot by a trooper.

The other suspect was also injured, was airlifted to Hartford Hospital.

That suspect was questioned by police and remains in police custody at the hospital.

Investigators spent Tuesday at Days Inn on Boston Post Road in Old Saybrook where officers were called Monday afternoon.

Police said they believe two men, who Eyewitness News has learned both men live right down the street at the Heritage Motor Inn, came here to rob someone, who they know.

There was a confrontation and police were called just before 3 p.m.

Police said the suspects fled and were chased by officers on Route 153 where they crashed into a cruiser the area of Docs Hill Road.

Shots were fired between a trooper and the two suspects, according to police.

"There must have been eight shots maybe," said eyewitness Ted Owen. "Quite enough and then you figure I better get out of the way."

Owen told Eyewitness News that two cars went over the guardrail in the area and one of them flipped over. Owen added that is when he saw one of the suspects.

"They dragged him," he said.

Investigators checked out rooms at the Heritage Motor Inn and questioned people who know about the two suspects.

Sgt. Keith Graham, who has been a trooper for state police for 14 years, has been assigned to desk duty until the investigation into the incident is completed.

Police said Graham fired his gun during the incident, however it is unknown if a bullet hit either suspect.

Anytime a trooper fires his weapon it is standard protocol that they get placed on leave for investigation into the incident.

Old Saybrook Police Department told Eyewitness News they have been to the Days Inn many times  for other crimes. 

There was still an active scene at the Days Inn Tuesday evening.

Police have not released the names of the suspects at this time.

The Office of The Chief States Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy on the suspect, who died.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.