Jubilation turns to chaos after bombs explode at Boston Marathon - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Jubilation turns to chaos after bombs explode at Boston Marathon

A bomb explodes at the Boston Marathon A bomb explodes at the Boston Marathon

Two bombs exploded seconds apart along the crowded street near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon, killing at least three people and injuring more than 170 people.

The blasts occurred in about 10 seconds, about 100 yards apart and knocked runners to the ground. The shockwave sent glass, blood and body parts flying through the air and quickly turned what was supposed to be a jubilant moment into one of fear and chaos.

Immediately police officers, firefighters, EMS workers and military officials descended upon the chaotic scene to tend to the injured as frightened racers and spectators ran from the two blast sites.

Dozens of people scattered on the ground, stunned by what had just occurred and some suffering from instant amputations of legs and arms.

Others were unresponsive on the pavement.

John Peter Tapari crossed the finish line at 04:06:00. The race clock just ticked past 04:09:00 as the concussion blew runners and spectators to the ground.

"I was near the busses and I turned my head and heard, ‘Boom. Boom,' and saw the fumes," he said.

Immediately the rush was on to help those who were injured.

First aid tents that were designed to treat injuries such as blisters and dehydration quickly turned into triage units to help stop the bleeding of those that lost limbs because of the explosions.

"They just started bringing people in with no limbs," Tim Davey, of Richmond, VA, told The Associated Press.

He told The Associated Press that he and his wife, Lisa, tried to shield their children's eyes from the mass carnage, but "they saw a lot."

Victims were rushed to nearby hospitals, and medical officials in Boston said at least 176 people were injured, 17 of them critically.

Among the dead was an 8-year-old boy who was standing along the race route with his mother and sister waiting to see his father cross the finish line.

The Associated Press is reporting 29-year-old restaurant manager Krystle Campbell, of Medford, MA, was one of the three people killed in the bombings at the Boston Marathon.

William Campbell told The Associated Press his daughter was "very caring, very loving person, and was daddy's little girl."

The name of third victim killed in the bombings at the Boston Marathon was not released by authorities.

However, Boston University has released a statement that states one of the victims is graduate student at the school.

According to the Boston Marathon website, more than 23,000 people took part in the race and more than 400 of them were from Connecticut.

Businesses affected by explosions at Boston Marathon

On Tuesday, several blocks around the area where two bombs were off is off limits to the public.

People who live or work in the area can not go in or out. And it's also impacting business around the crime scene area.

There was no foot traffic or cars on the street, residents said.

"Everybody's on edge," said business owner Betsy Jenney. "It's unbelievable. Nobody can really grasp that it really happened to us."

Newbury Street, which is one block over from where the bombs went off was feeling the impact of being so close to what is now a crime scene.

"Typically the street would be loaded with people," Jenney said. "There would be a lot of foot traffic coming in and out, a lot of our regular customers, who are not around at all. People are just staying away. So it's dramatically different."

Some potential customers stopped at a nearby coffee shop; however, the doors were locked.

"Interesting, so many shops have been closed down signs in the doors," said visitor Valerie Petre. "Looks like they left in a hurry yesterday and haven't come back."

Signs were up at other businesses and were closed due to explosions.

"We'll get over it in time, but right now it's hard for everybody," Jenney said. "It's extremely hard for the retailers."

Increased police presence after explosions in Boston

A huge increase in police presence was seen throughout the area of Boston where the explosions occurred.

Many blocks remained cordoned off and that is expected to be the case for at least the next two days.

SWAT as well as the National Guard and heavily armed police were walking the streets around the crime scene Tuesday, instead of shoppers and people who live and work there.

Members of the Federal Bureau of Investigation took charge of the investigation right away, and early Tuesday morning, an apartment in Revere was searched.

Two Connecticut State Police bomb squad troopers were deployed to Boston on Monday and began work immediately, Lt. Paul Vance said. 

The troopers assisted the Massachusetts State Police and the Boston Police Department on Monday and continued to aid the investigation Tuesday.

Officials said the troopers were working to clear any suspicious items along the marathon route.

Vance said the troopers will stay in Boston as long as they are needed.

Officials are also urging anyone with photos and/or video of the incident to come forward.

Police ask anyone with information to call 1-800-494-TIPS. Anyone looking for information on loved ones can call 617-635-4500.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.