Memorials grow following bombings in Boston - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Memorials grow following bombings in Boston

Posted: Updated:
Officials line Boylston Street in Boston sweeping for evidence Officials line Boylston Street in Boston sweeping for evidence
A 2011 runner left medal at makeshift memorial for victims in Boston marathon bombing. A 2011 runner left medal at makeshift memorial for victims in Boston marathon bombing.
People leaving flowers and cards at edge of crime scene in Boston. FBI is working on other side of barricade. People leaving flowers and cards at edge of crime scene in Boston. FBI is working on other side of barricade.
People watching at edge of crime scene in Boston. People watching at edge of crime scene in Boston.

The makeshift memorials grew Wednesday in areas around where two bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

A steady stream of people lined the area around Boylston Street, which is in the center of Boston, to leave something in memory of the people who were killed and hurt after two explosions Monday afternoon.

"My daughter wanted to put flowers for all the people because she felt so bad for everybody," said Litsa Menounos, of Canterbury.

A 2011 runner left a medal at a makeshift memorial with a note for the people hurt in this year's marathon.

A Connecticut couple's daughter, who works as a broadcaster, was touched by the medal being left there.

"That was thoughtful of him, so nice," said Maria Menounos.

Just beyond the growing memorial is the massive investigation. Evidence technicians lined up side-by-side trying to make sure they didn't miss any evidence for blocks surrounding the two areas where the bombs exploded.

By helping investigators, members of the New Jersey Port Authority wanted to make sure they were there for Boston the way Boston was for them after another terrible attack.

"The Boston Police Department came down for us after 9/11. We're now coming up to support them," said Brett Porigow, of the Port Authority of New York. "They're away from their families, working extended hours."

Mother from Simsbury frantically searched for daughter at finish line

A 70-year-old woman from Simsbury was right at the finish line as the bombs exploded. She was waiting for her daughter to cross the finish line 

In sheer terror, she held onto her other daughter, Megan Keiler, as they searched for their loved one who was still running the race.

"I couldn't really compute this fabulous event in Boston just blew up in our faces," said Mary Ann Marchio. "The people I'd been looking at were suddenly gone, and mayhem broke out. My daughter kept saying, 'mom if you have to close your eyes, we gotta leave, gotta leave.'"

Jennifer Marchio was a half a mile from crossing her first finish line. She was running the same big race that her older sister ran 20 years and one day earlier after Jennifer Marchio had raised money for charity.

"Because she was the highest fundraiser for this charity, they gave us VIP seating," said Mary Ann Marchio.

After the explosions, Mary Ann Marchio said Keiler took charge, following Jennifer Marchio crossing the finish line.

"I kept saying to my daughter, 'where is everyone?'" Mary Ann Marchio said. "She kept saying, 'Mom, got to go.'"

Keiler made it her mission to get them to safety and find Jennifer Marchio. 

They were led inside the public library and three agonizing hours later, they were reunited.

"We all started crying," Mary Ann Marchio said. "It was a wonderful moment to feel my child, who's not a child, but she became my baby at that point."

Students from Connecticut helping investigation in Boston

Two students from Connecticut were helping some of the law enforcement officials in Boston on Wednesday.

"Helping others is such a great way to live," said Sharon Wynne, of Old Saybrook. "Today, we were thinking these guys must be hungry or want coffee or something like that."

Wynne and her friend, Chris Dube, of Madison, go to college in Boston and decided to bring coffee and doughnuts down to the investigators. 

When Eyewitness News caught up with them, they were on their second run of breakfast goodies.

"It makes your day feel a little better, anything to give back, especially now in cases like this," Wynne said. "It just makes everybody's day better"

Cheshire man was watching the marathon when the two explosions occurred

Eyewitness News continues to hear firsthand accounts of the chaos and confusion in the moments after the two blasts at the marathon.

Quinnipiac University athletic director Jack McDonald reflected on those terrifying minutes on Boylston Street.

"First blast was one of shock," said McDonald, who was there to cheer on his sons Brian and Jimmy with his wife, Linda. "The second blast was clearly one of terror."

After the bombings, Jack McDonald, who is a native of Boston, was concerned for his son because he was wearing a Coast Guard jersey.

"He's a member of Homeland Security Department. He had a good sense of where he was. I think," he said. "We thought he was OK, but we were most worried about Nicole (Jimmy McDonald's fiance) because she was on the same sidewalk we were."

As chaos ensued, Jack McDonald says it was the second blast that unnerved many as they tried to find their sons.

"During the hubbub of the bomb we lost sight of him. So my wife was very concerned - we went back to Newbury Street, walked in the street because you didn't want to walk on the sidewalk after what we just experienced," he said. "We found Nicole. Thank God. She was in complete fear, not so much for herself, but her new fiance, my son Jimmy."

Jack McDonald, who hopes "the world" runs the Boston Marathon next year, said his heart is with those still suffering.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.