A 12-year-old student is accused of a horrible crime against a classmate.
Shawnee Police Department Officer Bill Hisle said the 12-year-old boy filled his hand with hand sanitizer and lit it on fire. This occurred before classes started.
The student threw the lit sanitizer on a 12-year-old student who suffered minor facial burns.
The 12-year-old student faces charges in juvenile court. The school nurse treated the burned student whose parents took the boy to the doctor. The injured student is back at school.
This happened at 8:15 a.m. Wednesday at Hocker Grove Middle School, 10400 Johnson Dr.
The boy told police that he heard from an older student about a party prank of setting the hand sanitizer and had seen YouTube videos depicting the prank.
But it's no prank to authorities. The boy has been booked on aggravated battery charges in juvenile court and he faces discipline from the Shawnee Mission School District.
"Having worked with students, sometimes they don't realize the implication or the serious nature or they'll make an impulsive choice," Leigh Anne Neal, district spokeswoman, said.
The student had a lighter, which he used, authorities said. Lighters are banned from school.
Parents were asked by the district to talk to their children about the dangers of YouTube pranks.
Some students told KCTV5 that they have seen the videos and how stupid they thought they were.
Hisle said this had the potential to be much worse and caused more serious injuries. Hand sanitizer has alcohol in it, which allows it to ignite.
"I think we're very fortunate not to have a tragic event," Hisle said.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.