Police in Middletown investigated an unspecified threat made by a Woodrow Wilson Middle School student that was received last week.
Middletown Public School Superintendent Dr. Patricia Charles sent a message to the community Sunday evening, informing the public that a threat had been made by a middle school student against the middle school community.
"Every threat is thoroughly investigated, and perpetrators of such threats face possible criminal as well as disciplinary consequences," Charles said in a statement.
The building opened as usual Monday, and school officials said all of the backpacks that students brought with them were searched before they were allowed inside.
In addition, school officials said, a bomb squad conducted a thorough search of the building over the weekend while it was empty.
"We've called in the Hartford bomb squad. We had them do a sweep of the school yesterday when no one was there," said Middletown police Lt. Heather Desmond. "It was a very thorough search and they did not find anything of any nature that would cause concern."
An increased school presence was noticed Monday, and school officials said they would re-assess the situation every day to decide if there will be a continued presence as the week continues.
"I'm nervous, I'm not going to lie," said parent Angela Succo. "But they said live like it's any other day and I'm like ‘OK.'"
The student involved in the threat could face disciplinary actions and/or criminal charges if/when they are found, according to officials.
"Better safe than sorry, I'm all good with that," said parent John Corvo.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.