Victim's family speaks out after arrest in New Haven murder - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Victim's family speaks out after arrest of New Haven murder suspect


Within 24 hours, police were able to arrest the suspect involved in the shooting death of a man in front of a New Haven convenience store Monday night.

While police continue to question the suspect, the victim's family spoke out Thursday afternoon at a press conference with the police department.

"They didn't have to take him like that," said the victim's mother Ella Jackson. "They really didn't."

At about 9 p.m., Qusaan "QB" McKoy, of Hamden, was found lying on the sidewalk outside the Haven Market on Chapel Street, suffering from several gunshot wounds.

Witnesses told Eyewitness News they tried to stop the bleeding until the ambulance arrived.

McKoy was rushed to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

"It hurts. The pain will not subside," Jackson said.

The suspect was later identified as "Big Head" Shaune Meyers, who was spotted on a bicycle and led police on a chase Wednesday, according to investigators.

Meyers, who police said was on angel dust, had a firearm on him and pointed it at the officers. The officers drew their weapons and fired at the suspect, police said.

No shots hit the suspect, who did not return fire and dropped his weapon.

Meyers, who has a history of firearms and robbery arrests, ran into an apartment in the area of Norton Street where the SWAT team was called.

Police said Meyers changed clothes and tried to escape from officers. However, officers caught Meyers and arrested him.

"We're going to pursue you, we're going to be relentless and we're going to conclude these investigations quickly," said New Haven Police Department Asst. Chief Archie Generoso.

No one was seriously injured during the incident.

Investigators said they can't speculate on a motive for the murder, or even say they have all of the suspects.

"We believe other people were present," Generoso said.

After a stint in the hospital, Meyers was arraigned Thursday and is being held on a nearly $2 million bond.

While the investigation continues, McKoy's family grieves a life taken at 31 years old.

"He was a good son, a good father, a good family member," Jackson said.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.