Fire crews in Hartford battled an early morning fire at a home on Branford Street.
Crews were called to the home shortly before 3:30 a.m. after reports there was smoke and flames in the basement of the home.
"I was in the basement fast asleep, and I woke up and saw the fire," said resident Aion Campbell. "It started in the space heater."
Firefighters were able to get the flames knocked down a short time later, but not before they caused extensive fire damage to the basement and filled the first floor with smoke.
Officials said the six people in the home at the time of the fire were able to get out safely.
The residents of the home are being assisted with finding a place to stay.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.