Man thought linked to art heist faces sentencing - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Man thought linked to art heist faces sentencing

Posted: Updated:
HARTFORD, CT (AP) -

A 76-year-old reputed mobster faces sentencing in a weapons and prescription drugs case that revealed the FBI's belief he has information about the largest art heist in history.

Robert Gentile of Manchester is scheduled to be sentenced Thursday in federal court in Hartford. He pleaded guilty in November to illegally possessing and selling prescription drugs and illegally possessing guns, silencers and ammunition as a convicted felon.

A prosecutor said last year the FBI believed Gentile had some involvement with stolen property related to the 1990 theft of a half-billion dollars' worth of art from Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

Gentile's lawyer, A. Ryan McGuigan, has said Gentile cooperated with authorities but knows nothing about the theft and denies the mob allegation.

No one has been charged in the heist.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.