Firefighters prepare for emergency calls at Engine 3 in Meriden.
MERIDEN, CT (WFSB) -
The finance committee will meet Tuesday night to discuss the possibility of keeping open a firehouse without fire engines.
Firefighters said the closure of Engine 3 on Broad Street would be an issue of public safety.
City officials previously told Eyewitness News the closure of the
firehouse could save nearly $900,000, which would otherwise be passed to
Firefighters from Engine 3 said they handled more than 2,200 calls last year.
Firefighters told Eyewitness News if Engine 3 closes, Engine 2, which is closest, would pick up most of the slack. Last year, firefighters went out on more 3,100 calls at Engine 2, and Engine 4 saw more than 1,550 calls.
"Save Engine 3" has been a rallying cry for the firefighters and they have attended several meetings wearing speciality-made T-shirts.
The finance committee voted 4-1 on April 30 to keep the firehouse open.
At Tuesday night's meeting, the joint public safety/finance committee will discuss proposal is to make engine 3 a fire house without fire engines and equipping it with just SUVs capable of responding to medical calls.
Fire officials are against it and so are people who live closest to Engine 3.
"We need to fire engine trucks to make sure we are safe," said La'toshia Pharham of Meriden.
The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. inside the council chambers at city hall. There is no public comment at the meeting.
The Meriden Fire Department has more information on its Facebook page. Click the following link.
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, August 22 2014 1:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 17:17:39 GMT
Portland city leaders are considering a plan to build tiny houses for homeless people to help get them off the streets. The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at TheMore >
The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at The Caravan Tiny House Hotel in northeast Portland.More >
Friday, August 22 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:57:07 GMT
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years, according to an affidavit. More >
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years. That's according to an affidavit released Thursday. William Richard Pryor, 68, is in federal custody charged with transportation of minors with intent of sexual activity. (WARNING: This story contains explicit details that may be offensive to some readers.)More >