The family of a Nashville chef who died after becoming locked in his restaurant's walk-in cooler is now suing.
Jay Luther's mother and sisters filed the lawsuit late last week against several parties, including the cooler company, the company that delivered the dry ice and the Metro Nashville Police Department.
Luther died in June 2012 from inhaling dry ice fumes at Germantown Cafe East after the door to the cooler locked behind him, trapping him inside.
Luther hit an emergency alarm from inside the cooler, but when officers arrived, they determined a power outage at the building caused the alarm to go off by mistake.
Luther's body was found the next morning.
In their lawsuit, the family claims Metro police did not take reasonable steps to investigate the panic alarm.
They also name Continental Carbonic Products, which provided the dry ice for the cooler.
The family says Continental did not follow its own guidelines in warning Luther's business partner about risks associated with dry ice.
They are asking the company to pay $10 million in damages.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.