Surveillance video shows moments before fatal crash - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Surveillance video shows moments before fatal crash

Posted: Updated:

The identities of the three people involved in a deadly crash in New Haven Thursday morning, that left a gas station have been released, however the investigation into the cause of the accident could take months to complete.

The crash occurred at the Mobil Gas Station at the Amity Road (Route 63) and Whalley Avenue (Route 69) split around 5 a.m.

According to New Haven police, a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, which was registered in Ansonia, was occupied by three men and had been traveling westbound on Whalley Avenue, when the driver failed to negotiate a turn onto either road and hit the curb, which sent the car airborne at least 40 feet into the gas station.

Billy Ray Yancy, 32, and Derand Alan Lane, 35, both of New Haven, died in the crash.

Their bodies will be sent to the chief state's medical examiner where the autopsies will take six to eight months to complete.

Tyrese Worthy was ejected from the vehicle during the crash, and found a short time later by rescuers. He was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where his injuries are non-life-threatening, police said.

Investigators said determined speed was a factor in the crash. Surveillance video obtained by Eyewitness News shows the Sonata traveling at almost double the speed of the other cars on the road.

"What was he thinking," said Benny Murphy, who is the cousin of Lane. "Why would you be speeding like that?"

Early speculation is the car was racing, however in the surveillance video there is no cars nearby or even following behind them.

"There's no reason somebody should be going so fast on a street like that," Murphy said.

Police still can't determine who was behind the wheel. Police also said Worthy is not cooperating with investigators.

Lane's family said this tragedy compounds with another recent one. They told Eyewitness News all three were coming from a vigil for Lane's baby's mother.

"She passed away in her sleep," said Jonissa Williams, who is Lane's cousin.

His family told Eyewitness News Lane had three children, but he also leaves behind parents of his own.

"It's hard to bury a child," Williams said. "It's hard to bury a brother, you know what I'm saying?"

A building inspector inspected the overhang canopy of the gas station that sustained major damage during the crash.

There was no fire or explosion during the crash and little fuel, possibly from the vehicle, was spilled.

The investigation is expected to take "several months" to complete, according to police.

The area near the crash was closed for most of the day on Thursday, which did create traffic problems.

Anyone with information is asked to call the New Haven Police Department's Major Crimes Unit at 203-946-6304 or the New Haven Police "Tips Line" at 203-946-2875.

Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow
Eyewitness News 3
Powered by WorldNow CNN
All content © 2014, WFSB; Hartford, CT. (A Meredith Corporation Station) and WorldNow. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.