A Kansas City Power and Light Co. worker was seriously injured on the job Wednesday morning, while trying to fix a problem with a power pole.
The KCP&L lineman was in the backyard of a house on Northeast Park Lane, just north of Northeast Vivion Road and east of Troost Avenue, replacing an old pole when something went horribly wrong, and he was seriously hurt.
"It's just heartbreaking. I'm praying that he will be OK," Anna Novero said.
Novero was home with her four children, when she heard the loud commotion about 11:30 a.m., and knew something went wrong with the KCP&L crew working in the backyard next door.
Lineman Shane Green was shocked by a live wire that came down.
"All of the men were around him, and performed CPR to resuscitate him. He became responsive after two minutes," Novero said.
Emergency crews worked to resuscitate him, and he was rushed to the hospital with severe burns, where he remains in critical condition.
"He looked like he walked through a fire. He was just, it was very sad. It's heartbreaking because they are doing what they need to do so our family is safe from these drooping lines in our yard," Novero said.
She said she had contacted both KCP&L and AT&T about the pole in her backyard that started leaning dangerously over onto her fence. She said on Monday AT&T replaced the old pole, and Wednesday KCP&L was there to transfer the power lines.
"I just don't want to take my kids outside. Electricity is very powerful, and with it it's unknown what could happen. I just avoided being out back," Novero said.
She said she feels horrible about the accident, and her thoughts are now on how the lineman is doing at the hospital.
"They came to take care of that for us. It's always been about safety. I have been concerned about my children and for someone to have been hurt, it's heartbreaking and so sad," Novero said.
Green has been a lineman for KCP&L since 2000.
Copyright 2013 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.