New Britain officials are refurbishing about two dozen monuments for servicemen and women, who died serving in the United States military, after years of wear and tear and even vandalism.
The city's World War II Monument in the Rose Garden at Walnut Hill Park is getting a facelift and all the war memorials are getting refurbished.
To fund the project, city officials recently approved $200,000 in bond with $175,000 from the state, which had already been set aside.
"The fact that they're even contemplating this is a tremendous idea, especially with the current times, the soldiers over there," said John Nesklada, of New Britain. "I have a grandson in Afghanistan."
The World War II Monument, which has several cracks and missing bronze plaques, is the biggest and most likely New Britain's most well known war memorial.
However, there are actually 25 of them in the Hardware City.
"It makes me feel good to honor the military," Phillip Ouellette said this winter. "They fought for our country."
Over the winter, a medical condition caused a driver to lose control and slam into the World War II Monument across the way from Ouellette's house on Stanley Street.
"I'd like to see this one rebuilt, because it's been here for as long as I've been alive," Ouellette said.
At other monuments, plaques stolen by vandals will be replaced, while others will be cleaned up of graffiti.
Residents told Eyewitness News it's the least a city can do as it honors those who served and died.
"Maybe it will send a message to other people," Nesklada said. "They see it spruced up."
Copyright 2013 WFSB (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
Friday, August 22 2014 1:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 17:17:39 GMT
Portland city leaders are considering a plan to build tiny houses for homeless people to help get them off the streets. The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at TheMore >
The tiny houses would be about 200 square feet and look a lot like the ones at The Caravan Tiny House Hotel in northeast Portland.More >
Friday, August 22 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:57:07 GMT
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years, according to an affidavit. More >
A South Mississippi teacher has admitted to investigators that he molested at least eight boys who were his students, and the abuse spanned a period of 20 years. That's according to an affidavit released Thursday. William Richard Pryor, 68, is in federal custody charged with transportation of minors with intent of sexual activity. (WARNING: This story contains explicit details that may be offensive to some readers.)More >